Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Those Stinkers!

Those little stinkers!! No, I'm not talking about my teenagers (for a change). I'm talking about those beady eyed, shield carrying, sticky legged, crawly, flying stink bugs!!! They are the skunk of the insect world. How'd they get here anyway? They're from Asia. Did they hitch hike? I mean, I know they can fly, but across oceans? I throw them out my door but the birds don't want them because they stink. I wash them down my kitchen drain and they crawl back up in an hour. My 82 year old aunt collects them in a jar and when she gets a dozen of them she flushes them down the toilet. My aunt has gone green - she won't waste a flush on just one :) One of those little stinkers flew right into my macaroni that was boiling on the stove. We had a dozen activities that night, so I scooped him up and threw him out. When my daughter wanted to know why I was spraying air freshener in the kitchen I pretended not to hear her and said, "Set the table honey." I tried to eat the dinner, but I just kept smelling that stink and seeing those beady little eyes in my mind. So when I abruptly yelled, "Wait, don't eat that!" And I confessed the whole incident, right down to the, "Lord, bless this food unto our bodies. . ." My little stinker (that is my 13 year old) claimed it added flavor to my dinner!! My big stinker (that is my husband) claimed it added protein!! Me and the girls, we ate apples for dinner . . . but what are those little chew marks on our apples . . . did someone say stink bugs feed on apples??!!

3 comments:

Robin said...

I love your stories - I will check back often to read them. Have you considered writing a book?

Alicia said...

Hi there,
you commented on my blog and I just wanted to say hi and thanks for the comment.
I like finding new blogs to visit. I read your story and it remeinded me of the scene in Anne Of Green Gables when Anne yells at the last min. to not eat the plumb sauce and everyone almost has a heartattack. Fun story.

Life Adapted said...

Robin - thanks fo your encouragement, my daughter says, "Just write a book and get it over with!" Maybe someday. . .

Alicia - I LOVE that movie and that scene. Thanks for your comments :)