Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Can You Hear Me Now?

I am reading a very good book called How To Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk. The book gives practical advice on how to talk to kids. There are even comic book like illustrations to show parents how to be heard by your children. I read this book many years ago and felt it to be helpful. (By the way, my kids never had a problem talking, just sayin'. . .) I am re-reading it as teenagers have . . . um . . . er . . . selective hearing. Just like the book suggested, I have given my full attention, acknowledged with a word and named the feeling. I have given choices, stated my expectations, shown my children how to make amends and taken action. I have given praise. I have bit my tongue. I have said just the right words. I have use alternatives to punishments. I have said it all. And guess what? My kids still aren't listening. I have decided that actions speak louder than words. I don't care if the punishment doesn't fit the "crime." I don't care if their little feelings get hurt. I don't care if they go hungry for a few days.

I shut down my kitchen until their rooms are cleaned. Case closed. No car, no electronics and no food until all 3 bedrooms have passed our inspection. Can you hear me now??

6 comments:

Parsley said...

At first I was going to ask to borrow the book when you were finished. Then I see it's like most self-help books...fluff. Too bad.

Let us know how your method works!

:)De said...

When I first saw the picture (before reading the post) I thought you had removed a door that had been slammed 1 too many times. LOL! But I like that idea too! I am also a fan of mom going on strike and when I quit, I take all of my electricity, water and heat with me!

Peace

Life Adapted said...

Thanks for the support ladies! It's amazing how well my kids work on an empty stomach. I don't know if anyone will pass inspection tonight, though. I put a bowl of fruit and some peanut butter crackers on the dining room table so no one will actually starve. I hate to send them to school tomorrow without breakfast, but I'm not backing down now. I love the idea of a strike, I'll store that for the future. I'll keep you posted : )

Be blessed dear ones!

R.M. Jackson said...

Oh my! I'm going to finish tidying my room right now. Any cake in that kitchen? ;)

My little one is a long way from teenage, but I'll be filing this idea just in case I need it later.

Blessings to you.

Life Adapted said...

Hi Ruth, Much to my surprise, all 3 kids passed inspection. It seems that food is a huge motivator when it comes to teenagers! Also, each one of them was concerned for their sibling's hunger. So, they buckled down and got it done. PTL!

Blessings to you too, dear one!

Kathryn said...

Ok, you had me loving you at the sweatshirt with your sons name on it...I'll have to figure out how to make my teens want to do that!....but now after this post, I'm hooked on your blog...you now have another follower! :-) Your family has been prayed for tonight by me...just another Christian mom of teens passing through on "blogger next". You might like to check out my little family blog (mostly pictures, not really a "blog", per se) and pray for me to deal with my teens with humor and grace as well. :-) http://www.kathrynread.blogspot.com