Monday, December 7, 2009

I Believe

I love believing in Santa Claus. I love believing in something that is impossible and believing that someone I never met loves me and cares about my deepest desires. I love watching children believe in Santa Claus and how children are so willing to believe and trust and expect the impossible. I love how children accept the improbable and the invisible. That's why I wanted my kids to believe in Santa Claus for as long as possible. One year the boy up the street told my son that Santa Claus wasn't real (I never did like that kid) and that his parents bought the gifts. My son asked me about this. I said, "Son, it's like this, if you don't believe in Santa Claus, he doesn't come. Then, daddy and I have to buy all the gifts. So, you have a decision to make." Later that day I heard my son talking to his sisters in an excited voice. He said, "Listen girls, you better believe in Santa Claus because if you don't he won't come and then mommy and daddy will have to buy the gifts." Awww, I thought, bless his little heart for caring that we may struggle buying gifts. Then I heard the rest of the conversation, "You know that mommy and daddy won't get us all the cool stuff that Santa does. So you better believe!" So much for his concern about us. But, that's not the point, he believed for another year and I loved that. For me, it makes believing in Jesus a little bit easier. Jesus is like Santa Claus in that He wants to give us the desires of our heart. Jesus loves us and what He did for us on the cross was improbable and impossible, yet it's true. The free gift of salvation is ours just for believing. So, do you believe?

5 comments:

Life Adapted said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Parsley said...

How sweet. My daughter was told about Santa and believed. Then when she was 3, going on 4, she became concerned that if Santa could come down the chimney, a stranger could.

I didn't want fear in her heart so we told her we helped Santa out.

:)De said...

I believe!

Indian Lake Papa said...

My parents could not have gotten our gifts. They are both gone now and I still get gifts - must be a Santa and it must be true because I am so good.

Life Adapted said...

Parsley, you've got a smart cookie there :)

:)De, I knew you were a believer :)

Papa, who are you kidding? ;)

Be blessed dear ones!