Saturday, January 9, 2010

One Step Forward, Two Steps Backward

Augh! I've had it with treadmills and decided I was better off walking outdoors on real pavement. I grabbed my hat, gloves, scarf (thanks family for these nice Christmas gifts) and put on my winter coat and went out for a walk. I made it to the end of the driveway when I remembered the other nice Christmas gift I got, a pedometer. I went back inside and put on my pedometer. I checked with my techno-geek daughter to make sure I was using it properly. Off I went. I walked my usual way until I realized how windy it was and then headed off in a different direction. I thought, why not walk down the hill like I used to before the new development was built (the development is windy because they removed the beautiful white birch forest, not one white birch was saved, thus the wind whips through there unhindered). As I walked I remembered how I used to push my 3 kids in a big Prego double stroller. I strapped my son in the seat facing me so I could keep an eye on him. I put my middle daughter in front because she was nosey and my oldest stood in the middle in the basket, directing me (some things never change). When I got to the bottom of the hill it occurred to me that going uphill was never as much fun as going down hill. I trekked back up the hill . . . huffing and puffing . . . up my driveway. . . breathing heavy . . . into my house . . . sucking wind . . . I could not wait to see how far I went and how many steps I took . . . I took off my coat . . . my throat is soar . . . I looked at the pedometer . . . THE STUPID PEDOMETER ONLY REGISTERED 244 STEPS AND .10 MILES! Why doesn't the universe want me to know how far I've walked???

No comments: