Friday, January 18, 2008

Gramma's Doilies

My mother gave me some doilies that my grandmother crocheted over 50 years ago. They are simply beautiful. I have them all around my house, under lamps and plants and pictures and a special bowl my daughter gave me for Christmas. And, you know what? I'm happier. I see these doilies and I think about Gramma. She was a remarkable woman. She had 15 children, 13 of them were at her side when she died. Gramma never had a paying job her whole life (94 years) yet she believed that God would provide for her and her family, and He did. Gramma refused to be offended so she lived her life happily. When you visited Gramma, she gave you her undivided attention even though there were always many family members all around. Her favorite reply to, "How are you?" was, "Never been better baby." Even when she was in the hospital near the end of her life, she looked right at you and made you feel like you were the reason she was so happy. It's such a delight for me to have these doilies that were made with the same hands that cared for her children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, hands that made cavatelli, zeppoles, 1-2-3 cake, sweet and creamy tea, hands that crafted baby blankets and bed blankets and doilies. Gramma seldom spoke of her faith and when she prayed she prayed silently, yet her life spoke powerfully of the loving principles that Jesus asks all believers to follow. At some level, I am always striving to be like Gramma. She is the inspiration behind many of my New Year's resolutions. If I could be just a smidgen like her the people around me would sure be a lot happier.

No comments: