Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I am haaaaaappy.

Back in 1986 I quit smoking cigarettes. I used one of those quit smoking tapes. I had to look in the mirror and repeat, "I am a haaaaaaaaaaappy non-smoker. I am a thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin non-smoker." My husband would call from the other room and ask who I was talking to. I was talking to myself. So, what's the point? Well, in following my New Year's resolution (all 8 days now) I am finding that it's not the amount of words you say but the words you choose to say that is important. Any idiot can figure this out, but it's not just the words we say to others, but the words we say to ourselves. We get to choose how we speak to ourselves. For instance, we can look in the mirror and say, "I am a haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappy peri-menopausal pms-ing woman who can't get enough chocolate cake to satisfy this craving." Our attitude towards ourselves is vital in that we become what we say we are. "For as he thinks in his heart, so is he. . ."Proverbs 23:7 Let's be kinder to ourselves and affirm that happiness is not the result of the outside world, which usually disappoints us, but rather the result of the peace and calm of the Holy Spirit whispering words of love to our hearts.

No comments: