Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Passive Observer????

My daughter is looking at colleges now. She's brilliant and will get in anywhere. We're going to visit a college together. She's scheduled to stay with a student and then attend some classes and go on a campus tour. I was telling a friend how I had the day to myself and my daughter said, "Wait, aren't you coming to class with me and going on the campus tour with me???" "Well, I don't want to go there, what do I care what the campus looks like?" "But, Mom, I want you to see, I want to know what you think." Now I'm thinking, my brilliant, independent girl wants my opinion (this is a first) and I don't want to give it to her (this is definitely a first!). I reasoned that my opinion may actually influence her decision and I want only God to influence her decision. So my husband says that I should go with her and be a passive observer. Okay, first, I'm a mom, second, I'm a woman and third, I'm a mom! In mother language the words passive and observer do not co-exist (wait, what does passive mean??). If I have an opinion, you're going to hear it. Sorry, but that's why my daughter started me this blog, because she was tired of hearing my opinion. I don't know how to be a passive observer. So don't you agree that it's better that I don't have an opinion? I'm so confused. . .just when you think you have your kids figured out, they want to know what you think, and just when you think you know what you think, you don't. . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BEing a mom, means giving them encouragement, giving them your observations, giving guidance, and at the same time allowing them space to discuss what they are seeing. Sometimes let them take the lead and working with them. You'll do the right thing, just keep showing her love. Keep up the positive attitude. She knows that you love her.