Friday, January 4, 2008

Resolved, to achieve harmony

Don't you just love those people who say they don't make New Year resolutions because 1) they never stick to them anyway or 2) they don't have any major issues right now. People claim that resolutions are just good intentions that end up going bad. I think we all could examine ourselves and come up with one or two or fifty things we could be working on. I even think resolutions can be poetic. I used to give resolutions to people who couldn't come up with ones on their own. Well, not this year. If you don't want to make a resolution, if you don't want to improve yourself, don't. I don't mean that to be unkind, it's just that one of my resolutions is to talk less and listen more. My list also includes to speak gently when I do speak, and to achieve a life of harmony and healing (simply poetic). (Btw, does blogging count as speaking??) So on January 1st when the kids were arguing, I said nothing. And on January 2nd when the dog ate my shoe I repeated to myself "healing and harmony". And on January 3rd when I filled out my January calendar I gently asked the kids if there weren't something they could drop from the schedule and today, January 4th when I yelled "shut-up" and was reminded of my resolutions I declared, "resolutions are just good intentions and good intentions don't do anyone any good!" Oops I'm working on my 2009 list. . . . . . . . . .

No comments: